When it comes to having a good shave, you will need several products to help you, shaving cream, shaving butter, and shaving gel.
It can get confusing and you may be wondering about shave gel. What is it and why should you use this shaving option?
Read on to find out about the benefits of shaving gel and how you can make your own.
Is Shaving Gel Necessary?
Shaving gel is imperative if you are wanting a close, comfortable shave. It provides lubrication so that the razor blade can glide smoothly over your skin.
Not using a gel can result in dreaded razor bumps that can become infected and nasty. Something you definitely want to avoid! Also, you run the risk of getting ingrown hairs which can be painful.
Other downsides to not using a gel are an increased risk of razor burn, getting cut, or irritating your skin. All the things you want to avoid when shaving.
Is Shaving Gel The Same As Shaving Foam?
Shaving gel is different than shaving foam. Gels provide a better lather than foams, which gives you a superior shave.
As we touched on in the previous section, shaving gels offer lubrication for the blade against your skin. Even though shaving foam does provide a barrier between your skin and the razor, it’s not at the same level as a gel.
Gels are easier to apply than shaving foam. That makes shaving less of a chore.
How Does Shaving Gel Turn To Foam?
If you enjoy shaving with foam, shaving gel does have the ability to froth up.
When you rub the gel between your hands or on your face, then you are causing a chemical reaction within the shaving gel. It contains a volatile liquid.
Agitating the liquid causes it to convert to gas. The result is a gel that starts to foam.
How Do I Shave With Gel?
Shaving with gel is very easy. Just apply it to your face and shave.
However, if you want more detailed instructions, follow these steps:
- Wash your face with hot water to remove any dead skin. The heated water also helps to soften facial hairs, making it easier to shave.
- Apply the shaving gel to your hand.
- Shave with your razor at a 30° angle against the skin.
- Go with the grain while shaving. This eliminates the possibility of getting ingrown hairs.
- When done shaving, rinse your face well.
- Apply some aftershave (this is optional).
Job completed. Told you it was easy.
How Do I Get Shaving Foam Out Of A Can?
If you know there is still gel left in the can, it’s possible to get it out. You will need a can opener and gentle persuasion. We all know how frustrating it can be when there are dregs of something remaining within a can. Especially if the shave gel is older and expired.
Follow these steps to get your hands and fingers on every ounce of gel within your aerosol container. A word of caution, ensure there is no pressure left within the can. You will be puncturing it which can be potentially harmful.
- Remove the spray nozzle from off the top of the can.
- Even though you are sure there is no pressure left, still double-check. Do this by pressing the plastic nib.
- Use a can opener and cut around the upper rim of your can.
- The top section may fall into the body if the spray can. Attached to this section is the bag that contains the gel. Carefully pull this out. There may be sharp points (caused by using the can opener) that can cut you or the bag.
- Once you have successfully removed the bag, cut a corner of it with scissors. Now you can squeeze out any leftover gel when you need to shave. Seal the corner with a clip.
That’s the secret behind getting the gel out of a can.
What Ingredients Should I Have In My Homemade Shaving Gel?
Though you’re free to construct your own shaving gel out of anything, there are a handful of ingredients that seem to crop up in many shaving gel recipes.
All of these are natural and provide your skin and facial hair with what they need to remain healthy and strong.
Aloe vera gel.
Aloe Vera is one of nature’s best moisturizers. In addition, it soothes your skin as well as has the potential to remove wrinkles. That equates to a face that looks young and healthy.
Fractionated coconut oil.
This type of coconut oil is produced by dividing the various fats within coconut oil. That allows the fractionated coconut oil to remain as a liquid at lower temperatures.
When it comes to shaving, fractionated coconut oil can stop you from getting razor bumps and itchy skin. It also keeps your skin feeling soft and smooth.
These are used to give your gel some fragrance. There can be too much of a good thing and that includes essential oils.
If the concentration level of your essential oil is too high it can result in irritation and rashes. Take the approach that less is more, especially if you have sensitive skin.
This is another ingredient that has moisturizing properties. Vegetable glycerin can also minimize skin irritations and keep your face protected from infection.
Vitamin E oil.
This is created by sourcing Vitamin from natural ingredients such as vegetables and nuts. The antioxidant property of vitamin E oil protects your skin from free radical damage. That means your skin remains healthier and younger.
Vitamin E oil is also an anti-inflammatory. This prevents your face from breaking out in rashes when shaving.
How To Make Your Own Shaving Gel
Now that you know what ingredients most homemade shaving gels use, it’s time to get your hands dirty and whip up some of your own.
Here are several recipes you can experiment with.
Simple DIY Shaving Gel.
This is a shaving gel that is quick and easy to create.
- 4 tablespoons of aloe vera gel
- 1 teaspoon of fractionated coconut oil
- ½ a teaspoon of vegetable glycerin
- ½ a teaspoon of vitamin E oil
- Your choice of essential oil
- Take a spray bottle and pour all of your ingredients. You will want to use around 10 drops of essential oil.
- Give the bottle a good shake to combine everything.
You could also mix all the items in a small bowl first and then transfer them to a bottle.
Two ingredients shaving gel.
This is a simple but effective recipe for making homemade shaving gel. With only two components you’ll be whipping up a batch in no time!
- 3 cups of aloe vera gel
- 1 cup of olive oil
As an optional extra, you can include some essential oil.
- Mix the aloe vera gel and olive oil in a bowl.
- Add in several drops of essential oil.
- Pour your mixture into a bottle or container and store it in a cool, dark place.
How To Make Foaming Shave Gel
We mentioned that shaving gel contains a volatile component that allows it to lather up when mixed. However, you may prefer to have the gel dispensed as foam from your can or container.
If that’s the case, you can make your own batch of foaming shave gel.
- ¼ cup of aloe vera gel
- ½ cup of castile soap (the liquid form is preferable)
- 1 tablespoon of vitamin E oil
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable glycerin
- Essential oils (optional).
- In a bowl or blender mix all the ingredients (except your essential oil) until thoroughly combined.
- Add in several drops of your essential oil.
- Transfer your newly created shaving gel into a foaming dispenser.
Congratulations you have just made shaving gel that foams.
How To Shave Without Shaving Gel
It is possible to shave without using shaving gel. Maybe you forgot to check how much gel you had left and went to shave only to discover you have run out of gel.
You don’t have to skip shaving just because you don’t have any gel.
Here are some ways you can still shave without shaving gel.
How to use water to shave.
Water won’t give you the same level of lubrication as gel, but you can still have a decent shave.
Wet your face and beard with hot water to open the pores. Then as warm water to keep your face moist as you shave.
Be careful when shaving using water as there is the possibility of getting cuts or razor burns.
Can I shave with shampoo?
This lathers up so you can have some protection on your skin against the blade.
Pour some shampoo into your hand and then apply it generously to your face. Shave as you normally would.
How to shave with baby oil.
If you have some baby oil in your home, you can use this as a shaving gel substitute.
Baby oil creates a barrier between your skin and the razor so that you can have a comfortable shave.
It can also moisturize your face and whiskers.
Using soap to shave.
Using Soap to shave is another option that offers a degree of lubrication as you shave.
Work the soap into a lather as you put it on your face. When using soap for shaving, be sure to use caution as there is still a chance of having skin irritations or cuts.
Making Your Own Shaving Gel – The Wind Up
Shaving gel offers an advantage that is lacking in shaving cream: good lubrication. That is a major benefit if you have highly sensitive skin.
It’s not difficult to create your own shaving gel at home. There are a number of natural ingredients that you can use to protect your skin and whiskers.
Using Castile soap and a foaming dispenser can give a gel that instantly turns into a lather in your hand.
We included a few options below you can check out. If you use our links we get a small amount but it will cost you no more to purchase.
When you find that you have no shaving gel on hand, you can use a temporary substitute such as water, shampoo, or soap.
So, grab your gel and have a shave. Then bask in how good you, your skin and your beard feels.
- How To Clean A Wahl Electric Razor - March 30, 2023
- How To Clean A Braun Electric Razor - March 30, 2023
- How To Clean A Norelco Electric Shaver - March 30, 2023