It can take a long time to achieve the beard of your dreams. Still, time is not the only factor that comes into play. Knowing how to shape your beard properly is just as important. Therefore, in today’s article, we will go through everything you need to know about shaping your beard.
What Direction Do I Trim My Beard?
Before we dive deeper into instructions, it is essential to determine what type of beard you are looking for. To do that, you need to consider your face shape and decide which style works best for you.
How to trim your beard square?
When trimming a square beard, it is important to determine where you want the neckline to be. It is usually an inch above Adam’s apple. Still, it is best to follow the shape of your face and stick to the length you feel comfortable with. To better define the length, it is best to brush out your beard first before any trimming comes into play.
For a square-shaped beard, it is also important to shave your neckline, as it will give it a much cleaner look. When it comes to trimming sideburns, they can be thicker at the bottom and slowly fade to the top so that they don’t stick out from your hairline too much.
How to trim your beard to a V shape?
If you want a pointed, V shape beard, you have come to the right place. Firstly, we recommend you get the goatee part of the beard right. So, how do you do that? The first tip you should remember is that beard wax could help you easily separate the mustache, beard, and chin. It will also help you achieve a pointier and sharper look.
Start on a higher grade on your beard trimmer and gradually lower it as you work your way to the point of the beard. Remember that, if it is the first time you are trying this and you are not that confident, it is always better to take off too little than too much. Make sure to do the same job on both sides as symmetry is extremely important, especially with pointed beards.
How to Shape Your Beard Properly at Home
Once you have decided what kind of shape you want, it is time to learn some basics about shaping your beard at home. Therefore, here are some tips to keep in mind for those who want to master the techniques of getting and maintaining a perfect beard:
- Get proper tools – If you don’t have high-quality, reliable tools, getting the look you want can be much more challenging. That is why we highly recommend you to invest in a high-quality trimmer, hair clipper, and razor. Also make that you always clean your tools.
- Start from the bottom – The beard shaping must always start from the bottom. In other words, define your neckline by creating a line above Adam’s apple and shaving off everything beneath.
- Sideburns – You don’t want to forget about the sideburns. Firstly, you need to trim off all the hair in the area below the ear. Don’t forget to define a line next to your ear as well.
- The cheek line – the cheek line is also extremely important as it is directly visible and probably one of the first things people will notice. Therefore, make sure to define a line as well and trim or shave off everything above it. That line usually goes from your ear to your lips. You will be able to determine what works best for you. Just don’t let the beard grow all over your cheeks.
- Mustache – Mustache is all about your personal preference. Nevertheless, some tips could come in handy when it comes to grooming. Try to avoid letting your mustache grow over your upper lip. Just comb down your mustache and use a trimmer or scissors to define and cut the line. Do the same for the top part; the last thing you want is your mustache connecting to your nose hair.
How to Cut My Beard Along Jawline?
Unlike neckline beards, jawline beards allow you to shave your neckline freely. Still, make sure to prevent shaving cuts as it could lead to an infection. This type of beard is much more common and easier to style. A neckline beard also requires neck hair that can be quite irritating which is why you will more often see people with jawline beards.
To trim it, you need to define the line and start trimming from the center. Slowly work your way up to one ear using your razor, but be mindful of the jawline. Once you have done that, do the same thing in the other direction trying to maintain symmetry as much as possible.
How to Trim Your Goatee Evenly?
You should create an outline around your chin to get an even and good-looking goatee. You can determine what width works best for you but remember that wider is more suitable for long faces. Clip the remaining hair from the neck area and your cheeks, making very gentle and smooth movements.
When it comes to the area under your lip, you can decide whether you want to create a rounded or a triangle shape. Still, if neither works for you, remove the patch entirely. The length of the goatee is also up to you but ideally, you should use a beard comb or a zoom wheel if your trimmer features it.
Trimming and shaping the beard can be quite easy when you know the basics. Still, mastering those skills can take months, if not years, of practice, mainly because different beards and different face shapes require different techniques and grooming routines. However, with a bit of patience, following the instructions in this guide and getting the beard of your dreams shouldn’t be hard at all.
Last update on 2024-02-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API